Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has kept their finger crossed for Zimbabwe’s availability in the upcoming tri-nation series but insisted that their unavailability won’t have an impact on their plan of action.
Zimbabwe is recently suspended by the International Cricket Council but BCB is still ready to welcome them for a Twenty20 tri-nation comprising with Afghanistan as the South African’s requested to include them.
The arrival of Zimbabwe may very well mark the end of Mashrafe Bin Mortaza’s international career as BCB is hoping to host couple of ODI’s with them after completing the tri-nation.
BCB insisted earlier that they are going to host a farewell party for Mashrafe and in that case they are willing to pay from their pocket to accommodate Zimbabwe because time is running out for Mashrafe as Tigers’ next ODI assignment is scheduled in the next year.
Mashrafe currently is not playing any format of cricket other than ODI.
“As per the ICC FTP schedule, we had Afghanistan touring Bangladesh for a Test match and ODI or T20 match. We decided to make that a triangular series as per the request of the Zimbabwe cricket board in the last ICC meeting,” BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury said on Tuesday.
Chowdhury however remained tightlipped on Mashrafe’s farewell match even though BCB president Nazmul Hassan Papon earlier said they are planning to arrange a ODI series at home to give the ODI captain a befitting farewell.
“As per this decision, a situation has created that as per their ban on the cricket board there was confusion about their participation but the Zimbabwe cricket board requested us to give them some time, maybe they will be able to address this problem and participate in this triangular series.
We are hoping that soon we will get the confirmation from them. Even though we are continuously communicating with the Zimbabwe and Afghanistan cricket board, if Zimbabwe doesn’t come then Bangladesh and Afghanistan will continue the series.”
“There is no problem with the match status. Even if Zimbabwe plays it will get International status. The problem was their participation in ICC competition and there are some implications of ICC on their financial status. ICC is following these,” he said.
Primarily we will play a Test match against Afghanistan after which they will play the Tri-nation or bilateral T20 or ODI whatever it is. The series will start from the first week of September.
“We have a plan like that. It will depend, whether it will be changed or not. We are discussing something optional board to board. I think, if Afghanistan confirms then we will go for the T20’s,” Chowdhury added.
“Basically, we know that the Zimbabwean cricket board is talking with their government and they are trying to keep this on. We talked yesterday and they said they are moving forward positively. We are hoping today or tomorrow we will get a confirmation or they will give us their final decision,” he said.
“We are hoping that Zimbabwe will come. We will work with two options. I think the matter will be finalized within one or two days, then you all will know.”